Recent Fire Damage Posts
The Dos and Don'ts of Fire Damage
Whether at your home or place of business, fire damage is stressful and taxing to deal with. Once the fire is out and the fire department has left, it may be confusing to figure out what to do next.
After any fire damage situation, your first priority is your safety. Is it safe to stay inside your house? If so, make note of the dos and don'ts of this list below to ensure your safety and prevent further damage.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If the electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If the heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in the sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on houseplants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloths over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in and out of the HVAC system.
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your local SERVPRO Professionals.
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your local SERVPRO Professionals.
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don’t consumer any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. They have be contaminated.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Don’t send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
When fire damage strikes and you need assistance, SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is only a phone call away. Give us a call to begin the fire damage restoration process and make it "Like it never even happened."
Holiday Cooking Fire Safety
Did you know that Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are peak days for home cooking fires?
The holiday season brings family together for good times and good cheer. But did you know it also brings a higher risk of home cooking fires?
In 2015, there were around 1,760 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving alone, with unattended cooking being the leading cause. In addition, 55% of people injured were attempting to put the fire out themselves.
Keep your home and your family safe this holiday season by following these safety tips:
- Check to see if your smoke alarms are working by pressing the test button.
- Keep an eye on your food! Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop. Do not leave home with a turkey cooking in your oven.
- Make sure your stovetop is free of any potentially flammable objects (towels, paper, cardboard, etc.).
- Keep children under age 5 away from the stove.
- Be sure electric cords from kitchen appliances (such as coffee makers, plate warmers, mixers, etc.) are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of children.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is ready 24/7, even on holidays, to respond to any emergency disaster. If your home has suffered from fire damage, call us! (847) 593-3055
Deep-seated Smoke Odor and Soot Are No Match For SERVPRO
After a fire, any restoration company can clean up the visible damage. It takes an experienced and properly resourced restoration company to truly make it "Like it never even happened."
Smoke odor is difficult to remove and will seep deep into interior walls, linens, carpets, etc. In addition, any remaining soot can be hard to spot. SERVPRO's technicians will take every extra step necessary to thoroughly deep clean your property and leave no trace of odor or soot.
For any personal items such as clothing, toys, and furniture, SERVPRO will safely pack away and store your items to be deep-cleaned. As for your property, we have the equipment, resources, and training needed to properly treat every square inch of affected area. With the use of safe cleaning chemicals, air scrubbers, and ozone machines, SERVPRO will ensure the air in your property is thoroughly cleaned and freshened.
Check out testimonials from our customers and examples of previous fire jobs we've done. You can rely on SERVPRO to give your fire-damaged property the proper treatment it needs!
Make the Most of SERVPRO's Fire Damage Restoration Services
Our technicians create an action plan to tackle your fire damage disaster. Contact us right away to start the process.
Experiencing fire damage in your property can be devastating, leaving you displaced and wondering what to do next. Regardless of the type of fire you experience in your home, it often accompanies water, carpet, upholstery, and content damages that make it impossible to tackle repairs on your own. However, with qualified professionals on your side, things become much easier.
SERVPRO is a preferred restoration provider for most major insurance companies. We have several years of experience returning hundreds of homes to a quality preloss condition and providing customers with stress-free disaster recovery services. It is our job to provide you with fast, efficient restoration services that exceed your expectations.
After you have a fire in your home, you will certainly want to recover as quickly as possible. That is why we respond to your call immediately and begin providing you with the restoration services required to make your house livable again. All of SERVPRO’s technicians are IICRC-certified, taking advanced in-house training and following specific guidelines set by the EPA to ensure proper cleaning and restoration.
SERVPRO also specializes in a wide variety of restoration services, making it possible for us to tackle any situation that may occur. We have restoration methods designed to address smoke damage and odor removal after a fire, as well as services that target specific areas of your property, including structural, content, and personal belongings. All of our services provide you with fast, effective results, working towards reducing your losses and returning your home’s atmosphere to normal ASAP.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle has an entire Green Fleet stocked and ready to deploy. Our qualified professionals stand ready 24/7 to address emergency situations effectively. Call today at (847) 593-3055.
Living Room Fire and Smoke Damage Cleanup
Overloaded power sockets can start an electrical fire in the living room and cause considerable fire and smoke damage.
Electricity is one of the best conveniences of modern life. It allows us to recharge our phones, power the television/radio/microwave, and generate heat in our homes. However, overloaded power sockets can start an electrical fire in the living room and cause considerable fire and smoke damage.
When this occurs, it is important to have a restoration company within reach to reverse the damage. As an experienced fire damage restoration company, SERVPRO can arrive promptly to begin restoring your property. Following IICRC recommendations, our technicians can treat the smoke damaged contents and restore your living room, “Like it never even happened.”
Soot is one of the most stubborn effects of fire damage and smoke damage. It is oily and easily stains draperies, carpets, and other living room textiles. As such, we have to remove it before we attempt to clean up or deodorize any item.
The cleaning process is designed to extract soils, soot, and debris from various surfaces. During this process, our technicians use four primary cleaning actions. These are chemical action, mechanical action, lubrication, and suspension & dispersion.
In most cases, SERVPRO experts have to neutralize smoke odor that comes with smoke and fire damage. This smell can stick to your clothing, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies, and become a nuisance in the living room. We have various chemicals that can break up smoke molecules to get rid of these odors.
The choice of counteractant depends on the type of material that sustained smoke damage. Some situations may call for an ozone treatment in the deodorization process. If this is done in the house, we have to put the items under a tent while our experts operate an ozone generator (as a general rule of thumb).
If the fire damage extended to the walls, we have special cleanup procedures to restore them to their normal conditions. However, the exact approach depends on the nature of the wall: whether it is paneling or wood, painted, finished or unfinished, etc. The most effective cleaning method considers the type of surface, type of smoke, and whether the surface is dry cleanable or wet cleanable.
If your living room sustains fire damage, you need a reliable, responsible, and experienced restoration company to remediate your property. SERVPRO is a trusted, locally based restoration company that can reverse the fire damage on your living room items quickly and efficiently. Call us today at (847) 593-3055.
Developing a Plan of Action for Fire Restoration
Restoring homes after fire damage is a SERVPRO specialty.
While most fires are far less damaging than many people believe, the first sight of a fire-damaged home can still be overwhelming for most residents. A professional restoration service can clean the majority of the damage and keep the costs of replacement to a minimum.
Restoring homes after fire damage is a SERVPRO specialty. We have decades of experience in Illinois and a highly trained response team that can analyze surface types and work with the fire department to determine other factors after a fire that help us determine a cleanup plan specific for each customer.
- Surface Type – Non-porous surfaces (vinyl wall coverings and glossy, enamel paint for example) are much simpler to clean than porous surfaces (i.e. wallpaper and flat, latex paint). Porous surfaces are penetrated much easier by smoke odors and particulate residue, so they require more intensive cleaning products and devices to agitate them and release the particles.
- Natural fibers (cotton and wool clothing) attract less residue than synthetic fibers (carpets) but are harder to clean than synthetics.
- Surface Age – Over time, paint deteriorates and becomes more porous. It is also true for carpets and clothing, regardless of the fiber content.
- Heat Level – The higher the temperature, the faster paint breaks down and furniture finishes melt and ‘bubble.' Surfaces warp and expand more the hotter a fire burn which allows particulates and odors to penetrate deeper.
- Moisture Level – A high moisture level combined with high temperatures cause tile and vinyl to yellow and create permanent stains in other structural and personal property. The most common sources of moisture in this situation comes from home sprinklers and water used by firefighters.
- Type of Material – Burnt natural materials (wood, paper, and cotton fabric) leave a dry, powdery residue which is easier to remove than the wet, smeary residue left behind by burnt synthetic materials.
- Temperature Changes – Some residues increasingly damage surfaces as they cool. They form a film which is harder to remove and may even cause enough permanent damage to warrant disposal of the building material or personal property item.
Restoring your home after a fire can be expensive and time-consuming. The agency you hire must have the experience and patience to walk you through the process. SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is here to help. Call us today at (847) 593-3055.
The Most Comprehensive Smoke & Soot Cleanup Service Available
Our IICRC-certified technicians are thoroughly equipped and trained to effectively clean your property from smoke and soot.
Smoke and soot damage can be very invasive and hard to get rid of. While initial fire damage cleanup may make things appear clean, any and every nook and cranny of your property and belongings could be affected, causing hidden odor and damage. Fortunately, our IICRC-certified technicians have the expertise and experience necessary to inspect and accurately assess the situation to develop an effective plan of action.
Every fire damage situation looks different; in fact, there are two different types of smoke: wet and dry. As a result, there are also different types of soot residue. Before we begin our work, we can test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. From there, we will put a proper plan into place to make sure your fire-damaged property is taken care of thoroughly, efficiently, and safely.
Our equipment and specialized cleaning chemicals ensure quality results. For any kind of surface or material, including metal, stone, brick, clothing, curtains, carpets, painted surfaces, etc., we have what is needed to properly take care of your smoke and soot-affect property and belongings.
Don't just take our word for it; check out testimonials from these satisfied clients!
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is available 24/7 to take care of you. Call us today at (847)593-3055 for your fire damage needs!
We Can Deodorize Your Apartment "Like It Never Even Happened"
After the devastation of fire damage, SERVPRO aims to make it “Like it never even happened.” This involves demolition and reconstruction, as well as water damage mitigation from fire fighting efforts. However, we specifically pride ourselves on our deodorization process.
Our clients are often surprised and delighted by our ability to completely remove any trace of smell. Property managers who have dealt with multiple fires in the past will tell us that we are the only ones who can actually make the property completely odor-free.
The trick is that we do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; we seek out the sources of the odor and remove them completely. In addition to our quick response time and state-of-the-art equipment and resources, our thoroughness and willingness to go the extra mile truly sets us apart from the rest.
The aftermath of a fire can be overwhelming and stressful, but SERVPRO is always available to help you in your time of need. Call today!
What Happens to Your Belongings after a Fire?
As if the stress of dealing with fire damage to your property wasn’t enough, there is also the question of what happens to your belongings. You may lose hope and believe that everything needs to be tossed and replaced. Well, not necessarily. SERVPRO’s mitigation and restoration services also extend to your belongings. Our extensive and thorough content cleaning process will ensure that your belongings are treated with the utmost care.
- We will complete an accurate room-by-room inventory and ensure everything is property accounted for. This includes photo documentation and bar coding items, suitable for filing insurance claims forms, alleviating you of this often stressful and time consuming process.
- If needed, your contents can be relocated for cleaning, deodorization, and storage while structural repairs are being completed. A supervised moving crew will carefully pack and move the entire contents of your home or office.
- Any contents which are deemed restorable will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This includes electronics, art, wood furniture, kitchen items, area rugs, draperies, upholstery, and more. For any fabric material, our professionals will carefully inspect and test all fabrics to determine which cleaning methods are most appropriate.
If your property has been devastated by fire damage, rely on SERVPRO to properly take care of your needs. Call today!