6 Steps to Avoid a Flooded Basement
After the deep freeze of "Chiberia," the weather is going to see a massive spike in temperature. This means there is potential for excessive snowmelt, which can cause floods in your Itasca property. On top of frozen pipes bursting, your basement may be at risk for severe flooding and water damage.
To Avoid Flood Damage to Your Basement:
- Confirm your sump pump is in working order. Also consider buying a generator in case of power failure, as well as having a backup battery sump pump installed.
- Once the weather warms up and the snow begins to melt, check for any cracks in the exterior of your foundation and basement floors and walls, and use epoxy for a quick repair.
- Clean any debris from gutters to ensure proper waterflow, and check to make sure your downspouts are properly positioned away from your house.
- Remove any valuable and/or fragile items away from potential flood sources.
- Ensure window well covers for below grade basement windows are properly installed and in good condition.
- Have your sewer wells inspected and your septic tanks cleaned. A clogged sewer or septic tank could further increase the risk of flooding.
In the unfortunate event a flood in your basement occurs, call SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle to begin the restoration process. Time is of the essence when it comes to water damage, so don't wait! Call us anytime, 24/7 at (847) 593-3055!