Preparing Before the Storm Arrives
Have you ever thought about what steps need to be taken when you know there is a heavy storm on the way? Storms can cause many different forms of damage to your home, cars, and personal belongings. Storm winds can reach up to 95 mph and knowing how to help protect and secure your home can minimize the damages. Here are some tips to help prepare yourself, your family, and your property when a storm is on its way:
- Designate a safe room for shelter that is always from windows or outside doors like patios. Make sure you have some food and water and emergency supplies in your safe room in case of an emergency.
- Get organized. Prepare your garage by organizing supplies so that your cars will be protected from any severe winds or debris that may be caught in the wind outdoors.
- Close and reinforce your garage door. Making sure you garage door is closed and reinforced with support beams can help in case of extremely strong winds or debris that could come towards the garage door.
- Anticipate a power outage. Having all your devices fully charged in case you need to contact someone in an emergency will be very helpful. Additionally, having battery powered radios and flashlights will also come in handy during the night.
- Collect and store all yard items and equipment. Any outdoor items that could get swept away in the heavy winds are best kept in the garage.
- Stay informed. Keeping the radio or news report on hand so you can be prepared for what may be heading your way.