National Preparedness Month 2019: Prepared, Not Scared
National Preparedness Month is observed every September to promote disaster and emergency planning to help ensure the safety of your family and community. Now is a great time to plan ahead and prepare for the unexpected.
Each week of September focuses on different themes of preparedness. This week's theme is financial preparedness: "Save Early for Disaster Costs." Here are just a few quick tips to financially prepare for disasters.
- Check your insurance coverage and make sure you have flood insurance. Many homeowners' and renters' insurance do not cover for flood damage. (Note: many flood insurance policies do not take effect until after 30 days. Don't wait until it's too late!)
- Make sure you have important documentation on hand, such as insurance, household identification, legal, and medical.
- Begin saving now and make wise financial choices to prepare for the unexpected.
- Check out the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit developed by FEMA to help plan ahead.
- Snap photos of important documents and personal belongings to expedite insurance claim filing.
Ready.gov is chock full of helpful resources to prepare for disaster. Be sure to check out their website, as well as the links above, for more information!
In the event of a disaster, SERVPRO is equipped and ready to respond 24/7. Give us a call (847) 593-3055 for service that is "Faster to any size disaster."