How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Knowing what winter is capable of causing in Chicago, now is the time to take extra precautions and know what to do when frozen pipes occur.
2019 is almost over, and it is always wise to look back on lessons learned the past year. In January, when the Polar Vortex hit, many houses in Elk Grove, Schaumburg, Palatine, etc. experienced large-scale water losses caused by burst frozen pipes. Knowing what winter is capable of causing in Chicago, now is the time to take extra precautions and know what to do when frozen pipes occur.
If you suspect your property may have frozen pipes, it is best to call a professional plumber to assess the situation and potentially repair and help prevent any damages. If you would like to try to take matters into your own hands, here are some helpful tips:
- Avoid using open flames, heat guns, etc. to thaw your pipes.
- Pipe bursts occur not just because of frozen water, but from increasing water pressure as ice builds up. Relieve water pressure on your lines. Ways you can do this are turning off your water supply or trickling your faucets. Water may still freeze, but allowing pressure to escape can help prevent pipes from bursting.
- If you are able to visually access pipes along your walls, look for swollen areas or frost. If you see any, turn up the heat throughout the building.
- Use space heaters to provide extra heat in particular areas (though do not leave such appliances unattended).
- If you need to target specific areas, a hairdryer, heating pad, or simply a cloth wet with hot water can be applied.
In the unfortunate event your home or business experiences water damage caused by a frozen pipe, please give us a call! SERVPRO operates 24/7 and offers quick emergency response time to effectively mitigate any further damage. (847) 593-3055
Trained, Experienced, and Compassionate Staff
From our technicians to our office staff, each one of our team members aims to provide the restoration services you need with a compassionate smile.
At SERVPRO, it is one thing to have staff who are highly qualified and experienced in restoration. We are IICRC-certified, and our work is based on standardized restoration techniques used across the industry. However, it is important that we not only offer quality work, but also quality care.
We understand the difficulties a water or fire loss can bring to you and your loved ones, and we aim to work alongside you and help you navigate through these stressful times. From our technicians to our office staff, each one of our team members aims to provide the restoration services you need with a compassionate smile.
SERVPRO is ready and available 24/7 to provide you with the restoration services your property needs. Do not hesitate to give us a call! (847) 593-3055
Holiday Fire Safety Cooking
Did you know that Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are peak days for home cooking fires?
The holiday season brings family together for good times and good cheer, but it could also be a hectic time. Did you know it also brings a higher risk of home cooking fires?
In 2016, there were around 1,570 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving day alone, with unintended cooking being the leading cause of incidents. In almost half of all reported home fires and injuries, cooking equipment was involved.
Keep your home and your family safe this holiday season by following these safety tips:
- Check to see if your smoke alarms are working by pressing the test button.
- Keep an eye on your food! Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop. Do not leave home with a turkey cooking in your oven.
- Make sure your stovetop is free of any potentially flammable objects (towels, paper, cardboard, etc.).
- Keep children under age 5 away from the stove.
- Be sure electric cords from kitchen appliances (such as coffee makers, plate warmers, mixers, etc.) are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of children.
- Keep matches and utility lighters in a cabinet up above, out of reach of children.
- When in doubt, just get out! Do not try to fight any fires that may grow out of control. Ensure your safety by leaving the house, and call 911 as soon as you are a safe distance away from the fire.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle / Palatine / Rolling Meadows is ready 24/7, even on holidays, to respond to any emergency disaster. If your home has suffered from fire damage, call us! (847) 593-3055
Snowvembruary: Winter Weather Records in Chicagoland
In the unfortunate event your property experiences a winter weather-related disaster, SERVPRO is ready and available 24/7 to take care of you!
We are more than a month away from the "official" start of winter, yet the weather in the Chicagoland area is already proving this year's winter season will be one for the books. Yesterday was the snowiest November 11th on record in Chicago, and today is the coldest November 12th on record. After this, the temperatures will slowly climb back up, which could potentially cause the snow to melt at a rapid pace. If you are a homeowner, make sure you are ready for any potential water damage or floods, including checking to make sure your sump pump is in working order, any foundation cracks or window cracks are sealed, gutters are cleaned out, etc.
In the unfortunate event your home or business property experiences a winter weather-related disaster, SERVPRO is ready and available 24/7 to take care of your needs! Do not hesitate, give us a call at (847) 593-3055!
Prepare Your Home For Severe Winter Weather Now!
Preparing your home for winter weather now can help prevent frozen pipes in the future.
It is never too early to begin preparing your home for winter weather. As we've seen in the Chicagoland area, temperatures have been dropping and snow has already begun falling. Before you know it, heavy snowfall will hit, and temperatures will drop below freezing. Now would be a great time to ensure your home is well-prepared against winter weather damage. These are just a few tips and things to watch out for to help prepare your property and save you time and money in the long run.
- Closing gaps: Any opportunity to close any sort of leak or gap from doors and windows could make a big difference in maintaining temperatures inside your home. Caulking and weather-stripping doors and windows is a simple, cheap way to prevent further, costlier damage down the line.
- Insulation: Making sure exterior walls are insulated from the inside is especially important once the temperature drops. Water lines that run along exterior walls are especially at risk of freezing. In addition, having insulation installed in the attic can help further maintain a warmer temperature inside your house.
- Thermostat: Once temperatures drop, it is wise to keep your thermostat at a consistent temperature, warm enough to help keep pipes from freezing. Whatever additional heating costs this creates will still save you a lot more money from flooding repairs!
- Maintenance: A few items that are easily overlooked are your furnace, water heater, and gutters. Furnace filters should be replaced monthly, and furnaces themselves should be serviced every 1-2 years to help keep them running efficiently. If you have an older water heater, it may not have the proper insulation; unless instructions for your unit advises you against additional insulation, it wouldn’t hurt to cover the unit with a blanket of insulation. Finally, clogged and dirty gutters will not properly redirect water once the snow melts. Having your gutters cleaned, whether you hire someone to do so or not, can help prevent water damage from occurring inside your home.
- Insurance: Now would also be a great time to review your policies. You may find your coverage may not be extensive enough to cover damages caused by sump pump failures, natural floods, etc. Checking your policies before disaster strikes can spare you from financial stress in the long run and give you peace of mind.
In the unfortunate event of a disaster caused by winter weather, we at SERVPRO are ready and prepared to help. Call us 24/7 at (847) 593-3055 to begin water damage mitigation services right away!
Call SERVPRO for Fast Response Time to Storm Emergencies
Our storm team beginning to mobilize and place drying equipment throughout an 80,000 sq. ft. commercial property.
While we are a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO is a nationwide service provider with the resources and expertise necessary to tackle any size disaster. With over 1,700 franchises across the United States and a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby, SERVPRO is ready 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to respond to emergencies. From severe flooding to catastrophic fires, SERVPRO has seen it all and our technicians are trained and experienced to handle whatever is thrown our way.
Pictured is one such instance of a large loss emergency in Schaumburg that SERVPRO responded to. After an 80,000 sq. ft. commercial property flooded out, we immediately mobilized a storm team consisting of 50 workers to extract standing water, remove any wet, salvageable materials, and place over 600 pieces of drying equipment to ensure no further damage occurred. Because of our quick response time, the entire structure was dried within a week. To see more from this job, check out our video highlighting the job process.
SERVPRO is ready to respond to any size disaster, large or small. In the unfortunate event you experience home or business damage related to a storm, do not hesitate to call us! (847) 593-3055
Water Damage Emergencies are SERVPRO's Speciality!
One of our air movers drying underneath a wet staircase.
Flooded basements can be a stressful time for a homeowner. Whether flooding occurs from sump pump failures, water main backups, burst pipes, etc., it can be difficult to know what to do next in these situations.
Calling your insurance company is key to understanding whether you are covered for the damages. After determining coverage, your insurance company would likely recommend you a restoration company such as SERVPRO to come inspect the damages. SERVPRO is a preferred vendor for many insurance companies, and we are relied upon to get to your flooded basement emergency as quickly as possible. When it comes to water damages, fast emergency response time is vital to ensure further damages can be prevented, thus keeping claims costs down. That is why SERVPRO keeps a crew on-call 24/7; no matter when an emergency happens, we are ready to help.
SERVPRO is locally owned and operated, and we provide services all throughout the Elk Grove and Palatine area, and beyond. Do not hesitate to call us when disaster strikes! (847) 593-3055
Your Feedback is Greatly Appreciated!
At SERVPRO, we take our customers' satisfaction with our work seriously. If there is anything about our work that a customer deems unsatisfactory, we want to make things right in whatever way we can, and we use those opportunities to grow and improve as a business.
Of course, we also very much appreciate it when customers leave us great feedback! From the quality of our work to the professionalism of our crew, we take pride in everything we do. Here are just a few words from our many happy customers:
"Great communication, great explanations, knowledgeable staff and thorough work!"
"You guys were amazing! You came immediately and cleaned everything up before any further problems could occur. As a result, the repair of the damage done by the water was much easier to repair! Thank you!"
"I highly recommend SERVPRO and their Business Development Manager, Tom Von Schaumburg and his assistant, Andres."
"Thank you to the Dove Crew and to Elliott for continuing to recruit and employ possibly the best group of young men I have ever met! They are respectful, knowledgeable and hard working, and have a way of putting the homeowner at ease during a very difficult time."
Check out some more past testimonials from our clients by clicking here!
If you would like to leave feedback regarding our work, good or bad, please leave us a review!
National Preparedness Month 2019: Community Preparedness
The last week of National Preparedness month, we at SERVPRO would like to encourage you to get involved with your local community's emergency preparation efforts. When disaster strikes, your whole community may be affected, and we can really make a difference when we all band together and help one another out.
- Community Emergency Response Teams (CERTs) train volunteers to prepare for different disasters their community may face. You can find local CERTs by clicking this link and entering your ZIP code.
- Every community has voluntary organizations that work during disasters. Visit https://www.nvoad.org to see what organizations are active in your community.
- Take classes in lifesaving skills such as CPR, first aid, etc. You could become a valuable asset in your community with these skills under your belt.
- Take note of potential hazards your community is most likely to face, and find ways you could potentially help your neighbors and friends.
We at SERVPRO are your neighbors and we are locally available 24/7 to help our community out! When disaster strikes, do not hesitate to give us a call at (847) 593-3055.
Making Fire and Smoke Damage "Like it never even happened."
This customer's garage was heavily stained with soot. After SERVPRO finished its fire cleanup process, the garage was left looking good as new.
In the aftermath of fire damages, the cleanup process can be a tricky one to tackle. Not only do you have to deal with the obvious damages to your property and personal belongings, but you also need to consider any hidden damages as well. Soot can be hard to spot and could have spread throughout your house without you noticing, which creates a deep-seated smoke odor that can be difficult to get rid of. Even if heavily damaged materials are removed or cleaned, your house may still have a lingering odor if the cleanup was hastily or improperly done.
At SERVPRO, we have many years of experience and training dealing with fires, and we understand what it takes to properly clean and neutralize fire and smoke staining and odors. We take the time to inspect every area that could have potential hidden soot utilizing chem sponges, which you can read about here. After we determine each area that needs cleaning, we clean and wipe every affected surface with chem sponges, followed by wiping with de-greasing chemicals and deodorizing agents. This process can be time-consuming, but if done properly, your house may be left with virtually no trace of the fire damage, truly "Like it never even happened."
Check out testimonials from clients we have performed fire cleanup services for in the past.
If you experience a fire damage, do not hesitate to call us for fast 24/7 service! We are located in Elk Grove Village and we service Schaumburg, Itasca, Roselle, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, and surrounding cities through the Chicago Suburbs! (847) 593-3055