Categories and Classes of Water
Category refers to the type of water affecting the structure.
Cat 1 (Clean): Water originates from a sanitary water source and does not pose substantial risk from dermal, ingestion, or inhalation exposure. Examples include: broken water supply lines; melting ice or snow; falling rainwater; or broken toilet tanks.
Cat 2 (Gray): Water contains significant contamination and can potentially cause discomfort or sickness if contacted or consumed by humans. Examples include: discharge from dishwashers or washing machines; overflows from washing machines; or toilet overflows with some contaminants.
Cat 3 (Black): Water is grossly contaminated and can contain pathogenic, toxigenic, or other harmful agents and can cause significant adverse reactions to humans if contacted or consumed. Examples include: sewage; rising water from rivers and streams; waste line backflow; or water with traces of regulated or hazardous materials such as pesticides or toxic organic substances.
Class refers to how much water and how the water has affected the structure.
Class 1 – least moisture absorption (less than ~5% of combined floor, wall and ceiling surface area)
Class 2 – significant moisture absorption (~5% to ~40% of combined surface area)
Class 3 – greatest moisture absorption (more than ~40% of combined surface area)
Class 4 – deeply held or bound water into low evaporation materials (e.g. plaster, wood, concrete, masonry) or assemblies (e.g. multilayer wallboard, subfloors)
We at SERVPRO service the Chicagoland area, including Elk Grove, Schaumburg, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, and the surrounding area. For a fast 24/7 emergency response, call (847) 593-3055!
Flooded Basement? That's Our Specialty!
Our team selected equipment that would quickly and efficiently dry out areas that have been affected by water damage.
It happens to everyone. Sump pumps fail, pipes burst, sewer lines back up. There is a myriad of reasons basements may flood, and we at SERVPRO have seen it all. Luckily, we are IICRC certified professionals, meaning we utilize industry-standard practices and procedures to make sure your flooded basement is properly taken care of.
After the initial assessment, a crew chief will discuss with you and (if going through insurance) your adjuster regarding the work to be performed, ensuring everything we do is pre-approved and signed off on. When done properly, your basement can be dried out within three days by following standard procedures and utilizing the most effective drying equipment available.
At SERVPRO of Elk Grove/E. Schaumburg/Itasca/Roselle and SERVPRO of Palatine/Rolling Meadows, we understand time is of the essence when it comes to saving your flooded basement. That is why we make ourselves available 24/7, with an on call crew ready to respond to your emergency situation and be Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call us today at (847) 593-3055 to begin the restoration process!
Our Method to Tackle Mold Remediation
Whether it is visible staining or a musty smell, mold growth can be a bothersome issue to deal with for home and business owners. If you suspect mold growth in your property, there are several options to consider.
- Pre-testing: To determine the extent of mold damage in your home or business, SERVPRO partners with trusted indoor environmental consultants to perform a thorough inspection of your property. A complete report on mold growth and air quality, as well as a scope of work for remediation, is provided in order to ensure proper remediation.
- Mold Remediation:Because our crew chiefs are Applied Microbial Remediation Technician (AMRT) certified, we are thoroughly equipped and experienced to handle mold damage of all shapes and sizes. From attics to basements to full scale cleanings, we aim to make the mold growth in your property "Like it never even happened."
- Post-testing: To provide further peace-of-mind, post-testing assessments can be conducted to ensure proper remediation has been performed.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove/E. Schaumburg/Itasca/Roselle and SERVPRO of Palatine/Rolling Meadows are ready and available to address your mold damage needs. To begin the mold remediation process for your property, call us at (847) 593-3055!
Preventing Fires This Holiday Season
The holiday season is a time of good cheer and an opportunity to catch up with loved ones near and far. However, it is also a time of potential fire hazards. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), between 2016-2019, fire departments responded to an average 190 home fires started by Christmas tree lights, and 870 home fires started by other decorations.
In order to prevent potential fires caused by Christmas decorations, here are a few safety tips to follow:
- Replace old or damaged Christmas lights. If you see light strands with frayed or pinched wires, it is best to throw them away.
- If you have a natural Christmas tree, be sure to water it every day. Dry wood catches fire more easily.
- Be sure any lit candles are secured in stable holders and located in areas where they cannot be easily knocked over.
- Consider LED lights - they stay cool, use less electricity, and are less likely to overheat compared to traditional Christmas lights.
- If you are decorating the outside of your house with Christmas lights, be sure the lights you use are graded to be used outside. Some Christmas lights are to be used indoors only, and these are not insulated and could potentially pose a fire risk if they become wet.
- Do not leave tree lights running overnight. Make sure to switch them off before leaving the house or going to bed or purchase a light timer to set your mind at ease.
In the unfortunate event your home or business suffers fire damage caused by holiday decorations, please give us a call. We at SERVPRO are available 24/7, even during the holidays! We service Elk Grove, Schaumburg, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, and beyond! (847) 593-3055
We Can Handle Your Water Loss Damage
Having an accident or flood can be a devastating experience. Even a little water can lead to significant damage if given enough time. It can affect your belongings, furniture, and even the structural stability of your home.
When facing water removal issues in your Elk Grove area home, it is important to have a trained professional on your side. You want to locate the source of the problem, get excess water out of your home, and have someone available to deal with unsuspected damages.
SERVPRO has 24-hour emergency service, IICRC certified technicians, industrial-grade equipment, and years of experience providing extraction, drying, cleaning, and repair services for customers just like you. We understand how water works, making its way into cracks and crevices, leading to expensive damages.
Our technicians use infrared moisture detectors to locate even the smallest amounts of water, water extractors of all shapes and sizes, along with drying and dehumidification equipment to get water out of your home in a quick, efficient manner that limits any losses you may experience.
We can perform wet carpet removals, content, and structural decontamination, humid or flooded basement cleanup services, as well as complete structural drying. We even make sure that the inside of your walls remains entirely moisture-free and perform mold remediation services when necessary to help you maintain a clean, healthy home.
Attempting to perform your water removal services alone leaves you with hidden pockets of water throughout your home that can cause excessive damages in the future. Without the right tools and experience, everything can get out of hand quite fast, leaving you with a huge mess and significant problems that you simply do not understand.
We can provide you and your family with the services you deserve. By assigning qualified technicians, we help return everything to normal in a quick, efficient manner, after an emergency occurs.
Get the help you need by calling SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle, today! (847) 593-3055
Preventing Frozen Pipes
Knowing we are approaching the coldest months of winter, now is the time to take extra precautions and know what to do when frozen pipes occur. Frozen pipes can be caused by a number of things, but most of them are preventable and by taking precaution now you can end up saving money on your home.
If you suspect your property may have frozen pipes, it is best to call a professional plumber to assess the situation and potentially repair and help prevent any damages. If you would like to try to take matters into your own hands, here are some helpful tips:
- Avoid using open flames, heat guns, etc. to thaw your pipes.
- Pipe bursts occur not just because of frozen water, but from increasing water pressure as ice builds up. Relieve water pressure on your lines. Ways you can do this are turning off your water supply or trickling your faucets. Water may still freeze, but allowing pressure to escape can help prevent pipes from bursting.
- If you are able to visually access pipes along your walls, look for swollen areas or frost. If you see any, turn up the heat throughout the building.
- Use space heaters to provide extra heat in particular areas (though do not leave such appliances unattended).
- If you need to target specific areas, a hairdryer, heating pad, or simply a cloth wet with hot water can be applied.
In the unfortunate event your home or business experiences water damage caused by a frozen pipe, please give us a call! SERVPRO operates 24/7 and offers quick emergency response time to effectively mitigate any further damage. (847) 593-3055
Fire Safety In Your Living Room This Winter
Electricity is one of the best conveniences of modern life. It allows us to recharge our phones, power the television/radio/microwave, and generate heat in our homes. However, overloaded power sockets can start an electrical fire in the living room and cause considerable fire and smoke damage.
When this occurs, it is important to have a restoration company within reach to reverse the damage. As an experienced fire damage restoration company, SERVPRO can arrive promptly to begin restoring your property. Following IICRC recommendations, our technicians can treat the smoke damaged contents and restore your living room, “Like it never even happened.”
Soot is one of the most stubborn effects of fire damage and smoke damage. It is oily and easily stains draperies, carpets, and other living room textiles. As such, we have to remove it before we attempt to clean up or deodorize any item.
The cleaning process is designed to extract soils, soot, and debris from various surfaces. During this process, our technicians use four primary cleaning actions. These are chemical action, mechanical action, lubrication, and suspension & dispersion.
In most cases, SERVPRO experts have to neutralize smoke odor that comes with smoke and fire damage. This smell can stick to your clothing, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies, and become a nuisance in the living room. We have various chemicals that can break up smoke molecules to get rid of these odors.
The choice of counteractant depends on the type of material that sustained smoke damage. Some situations may call for an ozone treatment in the deodorization process. If this is done in the house, we have to put the items under a tent while our experts operate an ozone generator (as a general rule of thumb).
If the fire damage extended to the walls, we have special cleanup procedures to restore them to their normal conditions. However, the exact approach depends on the nature of the wall: whether it is paneling or wood, painted, finished or unfinished, etc. The most effective cleaning method considers the type of surface, type of smoke, and whether the surface is dry cleanable or wet cleanable.
If your living room sustains fire damage, you need a reliable, responsible, and experienced restoration company to remediate your property. SERVPRO is a trusted, locally based restoration company that can reverse the fire damage on your living room items quickly and efficiently. Call us today at (847) 593-3055.
Preparing Before the Storm Arrives
Have you ever thought about what steps need to be taken when you know there is a heavy storm on the way? Storms can cause many different forms of damage to your home, cars, and personal belongings. Storm winds can reach up to 95 mph and knowing how to help protect and secure your home can minimize the damages. Here are some tips to help prepare yourself, your family, and your property when a storm is on its way:
- Designate a safe room for shelter that is always from windows or outside doors like patios. Make sure you have some food and water and emergency supplies in your safe room in case of an emergency.
- Get organized. Prepare your garage by organizing supplies so that your cars will be protected from any severe winds or debris that may be caught in the wind outdoors.
- Close and reinforce your garage door. Making sure you garage door is closed and reinforced with support beams can help in case of extremely strong winds or debris that could come towards the garage door.
- Anticipate a power outage. Having all your devices fully charged in case you need to contact someone in an emergency will be very helpful. Additionally, having battery powered radios and flashlights will also come in handy during the night.
- Collect and store all yard items and equipment. Any outdoor items that could get swept away in the heavy winds are best kept in the garage.
- Stay informed. Keeping the radio or news report on hand so you can be prepared for what may be heading your way.
SERVPRO Offers Expert Water Damage Restoration Services
If you are experiencing water damage of any type in your home, contact our emergency service line 24/7, 365-days a year. We are here to quickly take care of water damage situations for you. Water leakage can cause significant damage to your home and belongings, which is why it is vital to respond to this situation immediately. Our highly trained staff makes your restoration process as stress-free as possible by keeping you informed and communicating with your insurance company to get the most out of your claim.
SERVPRO has IICRC-certified professionals who follow strict safety and health guidelines throughout the restoration process. Rest assured, our team has the equipment, resources, and expertise to perform any repairs, replacements, or reconstruction projects necessary for the restoration.
SERVPRO always strives to be Faster To Any Disaster. With an entire Green Fleet of vehicles, stocked and ready to deploy, our technicians are ready to provide you with professional restoration done right. Contact SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle for full-service solutions throughout the Chicago suburbs. (847) 593-3055
What Does It Mean To Be An IICRC Certified Firm?
SERVPRO of Elk Grove/E. Schaumburg/Itasca/Roselle and SERVPRO of Palatine/Rolling Meadows are IICRC firms. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must:
Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up to date on the latest changes in the industry.
Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops the Standards for The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove/E. Schaumburg/Itasca/Roselle and SERVPRO of Palatine/Rolling Meadows specialize in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration, and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.