6 Steps to Avoid a Flooded Basement
When the weather warms up, your basement may be at risk for severe flooding and water damage.
After the deep freeze of "Chiberia," the weather is going to see a massive spike in temperature. This means there is potential for excessive snowmelt, which can cause floods in your Itasca property. On top of frozen pipes bursting, your basement may be at risk for severe flooding and water damage.
To Avoid Flood Damage to Your Basement:
- Confirm your sump pump is in working order. Also consider buying a generator in case of power failure, as well as having a backup battery sump pump installed.
- Once the weather warms up and the snow begins to melt, check for any cracks in the exterior of your foundation and basement floors and walls, and use epoxy for a quick repair.
- Clean any debris from gutters to ensure proper waterflow, and check to make sure your downspouts are properly positioned away from your house.
- Remove any valuable and/or fragile items away from potential flood sources.
- Ensure window well covers for below grade basement windows are properly installed and in good condition.
- Have your sewer wells inspected and your septic tanks cleaned. A clogged sewer or septic tank could further increase the risk of flooding.
In the unfortunate event a flood in your basement occurs, call SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle to begin the restoration process. Time is of the essence when it comes to water damage, so don't wait! Call us anytime, 24/7 at (847) 593-3055!
Chicago Prepares for Brutal Cold
With temperatures dropping to dangerous levels, it is important to take every precaution we can for our own safety and health.
The Chicagoland area will be seeing a deep freeze tonight and tomorrow, the likes of which we have not seen since the 1980's. With temperatures dropping to dangerous levels, it is important to take every precaution we can for our own safety and health.
Here are some tips to stay safe and warm the next few days:
- STAY INDOORS. Avoid the outdoors if possible. With a potential windchill of -55 F tomorrow, frostbite can occur within a matter of minutes, and hypothermia is a major risk.
- If you absolutely need to drive, make sure your vehicle is up for it. Replace your battery if it is old, and keep your fuel tank and tires filled. Also, keep your cell phone charged and have emergency contacts on hand.
- Clear out snow from your roof to prevent ice damming and shovel driveways and sidewalks before it gets too cold.
- Prevent your pipes from freezing. Check out our previous blog for more info.
We at SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle will still be keeping an eye and ear out for any emergency restoration situations, and we are available 24/7 to address your needs. Call us at (847) 593-3055 to begin the restoration process.
Our Water Damage Restoration Process - From the First Call to the Final Rebuild
From the first call to the final rebuild, we will see the project through in order to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Repairing water damage in your Medinah home is a more intensive and involved process than simply removing standing water and letting the room dry on its own. There may be hidden moisture within the walls and flooring that standard dehumidifiers and fans will not be able to remove, and complete drying may require tearing out wet materials. It is vital to have a professional team that is trained and equipped to ensure every step of the storm damage restoration process is carried out precisely.
1. Water Extraction
Before doing anything else, all standing water needs to be removed. This involves the use of industrial-grade extractors to thoroughly vacuum any standing water. Our technicians can also relocate and pack away any furniture or other items so that the proper equipment can be moved in.
2. Removal of Wet Materials
Once all standing water is gone, our technicians will determine what is salvageable. We follow the mentality of “restore vs replace”; we will save whatever we can to help save money for you and your insurance. If the material is not salvageable, we will tear out and dispose of it for you. Materials that are typically unsalvageable are drywall, insulation, and carpet pad.
We utilize industrial-grade fans and dehumidifiers to ensure quick drying. Our technicians will create a drying plan and a layout of equipment in order to maximize efficiency in drying and reduce risk of further damage. We will also look at all items affected by the flood to see what can be salvaged, documenting any damage with photos to include with your claim.
SERVPRO not only oversees the drying process, but we also oversee reconstruction to put your home back together. From the first call to the final rebuild, we will see the project through in order to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Don’t wait to address water damage to your property! SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is ready and available 24/7 to respond to your needs. Call us today!
Frozen Pipes: What To Do and How To Prevent Them
Now is the time to learn more about how to avoid frozen pipes and water damage that can occur if those pipes expand and burst.
Sub-zero temperatures are hitting the Chicagoland area hard and early this year. Now is the time to learn more about how to avoid frozen pipes and water damage that can occur if those pipes expand and burst. While a common occurrence, frozen pipes are highly preventable.
SERVPRO offers the following tips for preventing frozen pipes and mitigating potential damage that they can cause.
To prevent frozen pipes and avoid any potential damage:
- Insulate all exposed pipes in your property. Pay close attention to where pipes may be unheated, such as the basement, attic, garage, crawl space, and under cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Maintain a consistent temperature through your house day and night.
- Close any valves located inside that supply water outdoors and open outside valves to properly drain any excess water remaining in the pipes.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors.
- In especially freezing temperatures, let your faucet trickle; running water is less likely to freeze.
- If you will be leaving your home unoccupied for an extended period of time, leave the heat on and set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
Thawing Out a Frozen Pipe:
- If you turn on a faucet and only a few drips come out, you may have a frozen pipe. Typically, frozen pipes are found along exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Leave the faucet on while treating any frozen pipes, as flowing water will help melt the ice.
- Apply heat to the frozen section of the pipe by using an electric heating pad, an electric hair dryer, or wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, or other open flame device.
- Check all other faucets in your home to see if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze too.
In the unfortunate event you experience any sort of water damage loss, caused by frozen pipes or otherwise, call SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle immediately. We are available 24/7 to address your needs. The longer you wait to call, the greater the chance of mold growth and unrecoverable property. SERVPRO professionals have the training and expertise to prevent or mitigate the devastating effects that water damage can have.
What To Do When Winter Weather Water Damage in Elk Grove Occurs
With winter weather rearing its ugly head in the Chicagoland area, it is vital to make sure your home or property is protected from the elements, whether that be ice, snow, or wind. SERVPRO provides services in Elk Grove, E. Schaumburg, Itasca, Roselle, Wood Dale, Medinah and beyond to remediate water damage from frozen pipes, ice dams, roof damage, etc.
Extreme cold weather can cause pipes to freeze and burst. In general, pipes are more likely to freeze when the temperature is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The resulting water damage can be extensive. Outdoor pipes and pipes in unheated areas of the home can freeze if they are not properly insulated or if temperatures are severely cold. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can quickly and safely repair water damage caused by frozen pipes.
Outdoor pipes most likely to freeze include:
- Outdoor hose bibs
- Swimming pool supply lines
- Water sprinkler lines
Pipes in unheated or partially heated areas are also at risk of freezing, including:
- Crawl spaces
An ice dam is formed when snow melts unevenly on a roof and refreezes into a dam at the edge of the roof, near the eaves. This dam prevents any further snowmelt from draining off of the roof. This standing water can back up under shingles, leak into a home, and cause significant water damage to ceilings, walls, and other areas. Ice dams can also tear off gutters and loosen shingles.
Snow and ice can cause significant damage to your gutters and roof. The additional weight of snow and ice can even cause a roof to collapse. When there’s a cold snap, water can get into cracks and small spaces and expand when it freezes, causing larger cracks and more damage. The repetition of freezing and thawing cycles can cause small cracks to get larger.
What to Do
In the unfortunate event you experience a water damage event, SERVPRO is ready 24/7 to take care of your needs. Until we arrive, here are some steps you can take:
- If there is water over the electrical sockets on the floor or walls, stay clear of the area!
- Identify the source of water: sanitary water (i.e. broken pipe) / contaminated water (i.e. washing machine overflow) / grossly contaminated water (i.e. sewage damage).
- Stop the source of the water and secure any broken or loose pieces (i.e. broken pipe, valve, etc).
- If you are filing a claim, take photos of each affected area (especially damaged contents like computers or electronics). SERVPRO technicians will also take additional photos of affected areas and items.
- Watch for any slippery floor conditions.
SERVPRO is Faster to Any Size Disaster
For your winter weather water damage needs, SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is ready and available 24/7 to provide you with quality restoration services. Call us at (847) 593-3055 for immediate assistance!
We Are An IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is proud to be an IICRC Certified Firm!
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must:
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops the Standards for The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Emergency Response Restoration Services in Itasca for Any Size Flood Disaster
Warmer winter temperatures may cause flood damage to your home from melting snow.
With changing weather patterns, we often experience warmer days during the winter. These warmer temperatures can lead to significant amounts of melting snow. Unable to seep into the still-frozen ground, this water can only flow horizontally, at times entering homes.
SERVPRO's professional team has extensive experience in all sizes and types of flood mitigation. No damage is too small nor too large for us to handle. Because water damage worsens as time goes on, we are always Faster To Any Size Disaster to reduce the risk of further damage.
Certified in Water Damage Restoration (WRT) and Applied Structural Drying (ASD), our technicians know which steps to take and when. Using the latest technology and equipment, we can thoroughly dry a saturated home in a strategic and timely manner to save your property and personal belongings. We will also check for potential microbial growth and contamination to ensure proper remediation is taking place.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle can help your family recover quickly from any amount of flood damage that your home experiences, making everything clean and safe again, “Like it never even happened.” Call us at (847) 593-3055 to contact our 24-hour service. We never close and are always ready to help you, no matter what emergency your home endures.
SERVPRO is a BBB Accredited Business
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is proud to be a BBB Accredited Business.
Consumers turn to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to look for businesses that operate with honesty and integrity. BBB Accreditation is built on these eight standards:
- Build Trust
- Advertise Honestly
- Tell the Truth
- Be Transparent
- Honor Promises
- Be Responsive
- Safeguard Privacy
- Embody Integrity
A business is accredited by the BBB when they demonstrate these traits, and SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is proud to be a BBB Accredited Business. When you choose SERVPRO, you can be confident you are choosing a company you can trust in and that will look out for your best interests.
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle is available 24/7 to respond to your emergency. Call us at (847) 593-3055!
Learn more about the Better Business Bureau by clicking here.
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl 2018 at Cotton Bowl Stadium
Tune into the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl on December 26 at 12:30 p.m. CT (1:30 p.m. ET) televised on ESPN.
In a joint effort to honor the service and sacrifice of America’s First Responders, the annual college football bowl game played at Cotton Bowl Stadium in Dallas, Texas has been renamed the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl. Kickoff for the newly christened SERVPRO First Responder Bowl is set for December 26 at 12:30 p.m. CT (1:30 p.m. ET) and will be televised by ESPN. The agreement between ESPN Events and SERVPRO was brokered by Denver-based Impression Sports & Entertainment.
"We are truly grateful for all first responders’ sacrifice and service,” said Brant Ringler, Executive Director of the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl. “It is a tremendous privilege to honor these brave men and women who protect our communities 24/7/365. As this game continues to grow, so do our ties with first responders. Additionally, having a sponsor like SERVPRO who works along-side and supports these community heroes reinforces our goals of recognizing our first responders.”
"We are proud to present the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl dedicated to honoring some of the hardest working men and women in our country" said Sue Steen, CEO of SERVPRO Industries, Inc. "We recognize the dedication and selfless acts of our First Responders and are honored to help highlight and celebrate the commitment of these everyday heroes."
The 2018 SERVPRO First Responder Bowl is the ninth edition of the bowl game, formerly known as the Heart of Dallas Bowl, and part of the 89-year history of games being played at Cotton Bowl Stadium on the grounds of Dallas’ Fair Park, which features 227 acres of museums, attractions, history, art and performances located in the heart of the ninth largest city in the United States.
First responders to be honored include police officers, firefighters, EMS workers, correctional officers, search and rescue, dispatchers, security guards, federal agents, border patrol agents and military personnel who have specialized training and are the first to arrive and provide assistance at the scene of an emergency.
“This is an exciting change, and we are humbled by the fact that an actual bowl game has been named exclusively for the first responders of this country,” Dallas Fire-Rescue Fire Chief David Coatney said.
“We are truly honored to have a bowl game here in Dallas named after the hard working men and women serving and protecting communities across this country. It always feels great to be recognized, and I know our officers and firefighters are touched by this overwhelming show of support,” said Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall.
The SERVPRO First Responder Bowl tickets started selling in September. Tickets for First Responders will continue to be underwritten by our corporate sponsors. Anyone wanting more information on the bowl game can visit www.firstresponderbowl.com.
Restoration Services for the Insurance Industry
Trust SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle to help with your customer's restoration needs.
As a leader in fire and water cleanup and restoration, SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle offers your insurance company an array of competitive advantages. Our goal is to restore both your customer’s property and their peace of mind through timely mitigation and adherence to IICRC standards. The result? Lower claims costs and satisfied customers – and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
SERVPRO understand your situation. As an agent or adjuster, you have a responsibility to keep claims costs down while still providing the best services possible for your customers. SERVPRO professionals are uniquely qualified to help. Our results create a measurable difference, giving you many competitive advantages.
Emergency Response to Claims
Restoring property is the SERVPRO's first priority. Your customer will appreciate the immediate response and you will know everything is being done to limit the damage.
Pretesting Reduces Claims Expense
Restoring property is less expensive than replacing property. Claims Professionals know the rule is, "Restore whenever possible, replace only when necessary." SERVPRO professionals make sure pretesting is completed on every loss to determine restorability.
Claims Inventory Service
SERVPRO can provide an itemized loss inventory, with a full report and pictures of important items.
Electronic Claims Information
Our Claims Information Center provides fast, accurate information you need to make sound decisions, including:
- A Complete Electronic Job File.
- First Notice of Loss.
- Detailed Estimate.
- Digital Loss Photos.
- Scanned Forms and Paperwork.
- All delivered by email or hard copy.
- On-line Access to All Files.
- New Assignments.
- Pending Jobs.
- Completed Jobs.
- Informative Reports to Improve Results
- Performance Comparison to Industry Standard.
Superior, Time-Tested Training
Effective training is the best way to help ensure your customers receive the service they deserve. We are trained to IICRC standards in Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration. In addition, continuing education classes are available to our technicians and insurance clients at our state of the art IICRC Approved Training Facility.
Vendor Qualification Compliance and Professionalism
If you call SERVPRO, we will use only qualified vendors to service your customer. That commitment resulted in:
- A National Call Center to achieve prompt handling of the claim.
- Implementation of best practices and job process programs.
- National Accounts qualification criteria and annual compliance checks.
- Crew and vehicle standards.
- Insurance requirements.
- File documentation requirements.
- Quality assurance program.
Serving Adjusters and Their Clients
A SERVPRO professional's job is to reassure the customer, perform quality service and to report to you quickly. We know your job is to interpret the policy and adjust the claim, not to deal with problems from vendors. Working together, we strive to save you time so you can focus on priority files while having complete control of every loss you are assigned. 24-hour emergency response, damage mitigation, loss assessment, and an electronic file are available to you within hours. SERVPRO’s documented, measured performance increases value to you and your shareholders, managers and customers.
Hard-earned results have made SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle leaders in the fire and water cleanup and restoration industry. The SERVPRO System is geared to achieve customer satisfaction and mitigation results, adding to your company’s competitive advantage.
Call SERVPRO of Elk Grove / E. Schaumburg / Itasca / Roselle today at (847) 593-3055!